Sunday, September 19, 2010

A Funeral of Celebration

This weekend was the Visitation and Funeral of a dear family friend. My dad was the officiating pastor for the services. This funeral was not your typical funeral. I have been to funerals of Christians before but this one is what I envision the funeral of a Christian should really be like.

This gentleman had been meeting with my dad for months making the plans for his funeral. He had been in declining health for quite some time and had health issues most of his life. He laid out in great detail to my dad how he wanted things to go. He told my dad he didn't want anyone to shed a tear for him because he was in heaven with Jesus. My dad told him he couldn't make that promise so he told dad that no one could blubber. I chuckle at this because he had such a different sense of humor.

I am not going to lay out the entire service for you but some of his requests included that my dad wear a pink shirt (he didn't want somber colors), the gospel be shared with everyone there, and he gave my dad words to speak directly to his wife, children, and son-in law. I admit I did shed tears not so much of sadness but in listening to the words he gave his family through my dad. And then his daughter got up to speak and my tears really came. I have watched her grow up into the beautiful christian woman she is today. She is truly a testament to her parents faith. Her dad would be so proud of her.

This is how the funerals of Christians should be; not heavy and devastating but a celebration of their life here on earth. A rejoicing that they are now in heaven with Jesus. Not saying we shouldn't mourn and have some sadness because that is inevitable. We will miss them and the times spent with them but we have our memories to hold us over until we see them again :)

No comments:

Post a Comment