Friday, February 25, 2011

I Survived

I survived watching two children under two for a day and a half.  One was my 16 month old son and the other my 2 1/2 month old nephew.  I know, I hear you saying, "Armanda that is nothing I have four children I am with every day."  I tell you though I admire women with two or more children.  My son alone is a full-time job.  I kind of wondered how it would be when/if I have a second child.  He is just so stinkin' busy.  Don't get me wrong I enjoy every minute of my time with him.  I just wasn't sure if I would be able to give him the attention he needed and watch a little one.  I CAN!

It was such a relief to realize I could do it.  I could handle more than one child at once.  To be honest my 2 1/2 month old nephew was less demanding than my son since he just eats, sleeps, poops and smiles at this point.  I can put him where I need him to be and he stays.  My son on the other hand stays in the same spot for about .5 seconds before he is in another.

Another thing I was concerned about was jealousy on my son's part.  Having to split momma's time with another baby when he has had me all to himself for the past 16 months might have been devastating.  He has handled it very well.  He has a healthy amount of jealousy.  He wants to lean against me and try to be in my lap some while I am holding my nephew but not the whole time.  And I can tell he is going to be compassionate.  He pats his cousin on the head and hand or he will just look at him.  I am so thankful that he isn't harboring any resentment.  Granted he has only had to share me for a day and a half so I might be speaking too soon but I really don't think I am.

All in all I think I have learned this week that when the time is right and God is willing we will be able to transition to a second child.  This is not foreshadowing for any announcement.  My doctor wants us to wait until my son is two before we try for another due to the nature and trauma of my son's delivery.  However, I like to plan a little for the future and I was nervous about adding another little body. When some of my friends, who had babies about the same time as me, are saying they are ready to have another I am thinking in my head, "Are you nuts?!  Why do you want to rush along the babyhood of your little one?"  Maybe this week was God's way of telling I will be OK.  At any rate I am at peace with it for when/if the time comes :).  Rest assured there will be much prayer involved before we add another!

No comments:

Post a Comment